June 4th, 2023
What’s God Like?
Conversation with Chuck Smith
Chuck Smith: tell me about your people?
Lonnie: My people, I like that, It reminds me of the words of Jesus, “to what then can we compare the people of this generation?
What are they like?
I was up in San Francisco for a long time living and Haight Ashbury on the streets all over.
We did everything but that was the point you see, the drugs, it’s a quest.
Chuck: A quest for what?
Lonnie: It’s a quest For God!
How can you not see that? There is an entire generation right now searching for God.
Man we thought acid was gonna save the world, but that was a lie. As much of a lie, as what we were rebelling against.
I kept searching and searching, and I just finally got to the end of it and they was still a void.
And my people, we’re a desperate bunch. And desperation, man, there is power in that word. What would it take for you, Chuck Smith, to be desperate?
We must seem a little strange, but if you look a little deeper, if you look with love, you’ll see a bunch of kids that are searching for all the right things just in all the wrong places.
So to answer your question, how do I describe my people?
They are sheep without a shepherd chasing hard after lies. And the trouble is your people reject them, so I ask you Pastor, how can they believe in the one of whom they have not heard?
God had intimacy with man.
1. Man knew God.
2. Man walks with God.
3. Man sees God.
4. Man knows Gods voice.
Genesis 3:8-11 NLT
“When the cool evening breezes were blowing, the man and his wife heard the Lord God walking about in the garden. So they hid from the Lord God among the trees. Then the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?” He replied, “I heard you walking in the garden, so I hid. I was afraid because I was naked.” “Who told you that you were naked?” the Lord God asked. “Have you eaten from the tree whose fruit I commanded you not to eat?””
Sin broke friendship and brought fear.
Jesus came- Brought Revelation
John 14:6-14 NLT
(6) Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.
(7) If you had really known me, you would know who my Father is. From now on, you do know him and have seen him!”
(8) Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father, and we will be satisfied.”
(9) Jesus replied, “Have I been with you all this time, Philip, and yet you still don’t know who I am? Anyone who has seen me has seen the Father! So why are you asking me to show him to you?
(10)Don’t you believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me? The words I speak are not my own, but my Father who lives in me does his work through me.
(11) Just believe that I am in the Father and the Father is in me. Or at least believe because of the work you have seen me do.
(12) “I tell you the truth, anyone who believes in me will do the same works I have done, and even greater works, because I am going to be with the Father.
(13) You can ask for anything in my name, and I will do it, so that the Son can bring glory to the Father.
(14) Yes, ask me for anything in my name, and I will do it!”
John 14:16-21, 24-27 NLT
(16) “And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you.”
(17) “He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive him, because it isn’t looking for him and doesn’t recognize him. But you know him, because he lives with you now and later will be in you.
(18) No, I will not abandon you as orphans—I will come to you.
(19) Soon the world will no longer see me, but you will see me. Since I live, you also will live.
(20) When I am raised to life again, you will know that I am in my Father, and you are in me, and I am in you.
(21) Those who accept my commandments and obey them are the ones who love me. And because they love me, my Father will love them. And I will love them and reveal myself to each of them.”
(24) Anyone who doesn’t love me will not obey me. And remember, my words are not my own. What I am telling you is from the Father who sent me.
(25) I am telling you these things now while I am still with you.
(26) But when the Father sends the Advocate as my representative—that is, the Holy Spirit—he will teach you everything and will remind you of everything I have told you.
(27) “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.”
The HOLY SPIRIT:
1. Never Leave- vs. 16
2. Leads us to all truth-v. 17
3. Live with and in us.- vs.17
4. Remind you of Gods word- vs.26
5. Power for Life-“But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you. And you will be my witnesses, telling people about me everywhere—in Jerusalem, throughout Judea, in Samaria, and to the ends of the earth.””-Acts of the Apostles 1:8
Who Gets Power:
“He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless.”
Isaiah 40:29 NLT
weary, faint; — always as substantive,
• physical fatigue from lack of bread.
• lack of drink.
• of mind and spirit.
HOW DOES THE_______ __________ ME?
Romans 8:14-“For all who are led by the Spirit of God are sons of God.”
“Then Jesus was led by the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted there by the devil.”
1) ____________________________ :
Rom. 8:16-“For his Spirit joins with our spirit to affirm that we are God’s children.”
Romans 8:15, 17-“So you have not received a spirit that makes you fearful slaves. Instead, you received God’s Spirit when he adopted you as his own children. Now we call him, “Abba, Father.” And since we are his children, we are his heirs. In fact, together with Christ we are heirs of God’s glory. But if we are to share his glory, we must also share his suffering.”
John 14:27- “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.”
1 Cor. 15:45-“And so it is written, The first man Adam was made a living soul; the last Adam was made a quickening spirit.”
Joel 2:28- “And it shall come to pass afterward, that I will pour out my spirit upon all flesh; and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, your old men shall dream dreams, your young men shall see visions:”
7) ________________________: 1Cor. 14:1-4-“Let love be your highest goal! But you should also desire the special abilities the Spirit gives—especially the ability to prophesy. For if you have the ability to speak in tongues, you will be talking only to God, since people won’t be able to understand you. You will be speaking by the power of the Spirit, but it will all be mysterious. But one who prophesies strengthens others, encourages them, and comforts them. A person who speaks in tongues is strengthened personally, but one who speaks a word of prophecy strengthens the entire church.”